The beginnings of this old monastic settlement are related to a hermitage founded here in 1530, by hermit Zosima. The small church of the hermitage was commissioned by Prince Petru Rareş (1527-1546). Later on, the Great Minister of internal affairs, Nestor Ureche, father of the chronicler Grigore Ureche, commissioned here, in 1602, a new church and part of the outbuildings necessary to the monastic life. The entire complex, with visible Wallachian influences, was then renovated through the effort of the monks. Its stronghold-like aspect impresses the visitor as well as the beauty of some religious regalia and art works, of which the gilded iconostasis, in lime-tree wood, carved in the Baroque style.
Dedication Day: “Beheading of St. John the Baptist” (August 29th)
This tourist destination is part of the circuit: Târgu Neamţ – Pipirig – Poiana Largului