Also called “the sea between the mountains”, it is the largest anthropic lake on the Romanian rivers and the only inner lake on which the “Navy Day” is celebrated. The lake stretches its mirror on 35 km long, at the foot of Ceahlău Massif, and the volume of water contained behind the impressive dam, built between 1950 and 1960, can reach up to 1,250 million cubic metres. The dam was built according to the design conducted by Eng. Dimitrie Leonida as a “weight” dam, the largest of its kind on inner rivers in Romania and with its 127-m height it ranks third in the country. It also ranks ninth as gravity dam in terms of height in Europe. When the construction was finished, in 1961, the dam was the fourth weight dam in Europe in terms of height.
This tourist destination is part of the circuit: Piatra Neamţ – Bicaz – Borca